Investment Strategy Statement (ISS)
The Local Government Pension Scheme (Management and Investment of Funds) Regulations 2016 were published and came into force on 1 November 2016. This requires the administering authority to have in place an Investment Strategy Statement (ISS), which replaces the current Statement of Investment Principles (SIP).
Investment Strategy Statement (ISS) 2018 (528KB) Effective from April 2018
The ISS is a document that, replaces and largely replicates, the previous SIP. Authorities are required to prepare and maintain an ISS which documents how the investment strategy for the Fund is determined and implemented. The ISS is required to cover a number of areas, specifically:
- The requirement to invest money across a wide range of investments.
- An assessment of the suitability of particular investments and investment types.
- The maximum percentage authorities deem should be allocated to different asset classes or types of investment, although limits on allocations to any asset class are not prescribed as is currently the case under the 2009 Regulations.
- The authority’s attitude to risk, including the measurement and management of risk.
- The authority’s approach to investment pooling.
- The authority’s policy on social, environmental and corporate governance considerations.
- The authority’s policy with regard to stewardship of assets, including the exercise of voting rights
Under Regulation 7(6) and 7(7), the statements must be published by 1 April 2017 and then kept under review and revised from time to time, at least every three years.
Under Regulation 7(5), the authority must consult such persons as it considers appropriate as to the proposed contents of its investment strategy. In the formulation of the ISS, we consulted with interested parties, including Advisors, Employers, and the Local Pensions Board.
If you do have any comments or queries please email Melanie Stokes firstname.lastname@example.org or Helen Wilson email@example.com
The 2016 Investment Regulations can be accessed on Central Government's Legislation website.
Statement of Investment Principles
The Statement of Investment Principles was produced by Staffordshire County Council as administering authority of the Staffordshire Pension Fund, to comply with the regulatory requirements specified in The Local Government Pension Scheme (Management and Investment of Funds) Regulations 2009: previous versions can be found under the archive tab.