Improving your benefits

We offer two simple ways of topping up your benefits. These are:

  • additional voluntary contributions (AVCs)
  • additional pension contributions (APCs)

Whichever method you choose, the extra contributions will come straight out of your pay. Because they all count as pension contributions, you get tax relief if you are a tax payer.

Please note: you will have to pay the full cost yourself, as unlike your normal benefits, these extra benefits aren’t subsidised by your employer.


Member's guide to increasing pension benefits


Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVCs) 

AVCs are simply a form of investment to build up a separate pot of money, which you draw as a separate pension, and, if you like, at least some of its value as a tax free lump sum. Funds like us use outside AVC providers to run their in house AVC schemes. We have chosen:

  • Standard Life
  • Scottish Widows

For more information or to apply for an AVC please use one of the following links. Please note, Staffordshire County Council is not responsible for any content on external links.

Standard Life

Scottish Widows

When you have completed the application form for the provider of choice, please post it to Pension Services:

  • Address: Pension Services, 1 Staffordshire Place, Stafford, ST16 2DH

Alternatively, if you wish to submit the completed form electronically, please send it as an email attachment to us:


Additional pension contributions (APCs)

APCs are a way of topping up your pension directly with us. You pay in a set amount, and that tops up your pension by a set amount.

There is a maximum amount you can boost your pension by. For the year 1 April 2022 to 31 March 2023 this is £7,352, but will change each year. So there's quite a lot of scope.

For more information or to apply for an APC visit the National LGPS website and use the online calculator 'Extra Pension' to show how much it would cost you to buy more pension.  You can then apply through that site and print an application form.  This form should then be forwarded directly to Staffordshire Pension Fund.

If you choose to pay APCs over an extended period of time (more than 12 months), you are required to provide a medical report at your own expense to Staffordshire Pension Fund before your APC contract can start.

You should download, print and complete page 1 of the form below and then arrange for your GP to complete page 2.

Once you have completed the application form and, if required, medical clearance form, you should forward the forms and a copy of your quotation from the APC calculator to Staffordshire Pension Fund.