Benefits of being a member
Members of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) receive an excellent range of benefits. The scheme is set out in regulations and is very secure.
As a career average revalued earnings (CARE), defined benefit pension scheme, the LGPS is considered to be one of the best pension schemes in the country.
Summary of the benefits
- A retirement pension payable for life.
- A retirement pension that increases each year in line with the consumer price index (CPI).
- A tax-free lump sum equal to three times your pension for all membership up to 31 March 2008.
- An option to purchase additional tax-free cash by converting part of your annual pension.
- An option to purchase additional annual pension.
- A death grant equal to three times your annual pensionable pay in the event of your death in service.
- A pension payable to your husband, wife, cohabiting partner or civil partner in the event of your death.
- Pensions payable to your eligible children.
- A pension payable immediately if you retire due to permanent ill health.
- Your employer contributes towards the cost of your pension.
- You receive tax relief on your contributions – you pay less tax.
Please see the guide to the scheme. Both the full and brief versions are available to download and print: