Benefits of being a member
Members of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) receive an excellent range of benefits. The scheme is set out in regulations and is very secure.
As a career average revalued earnings (CARE), defined benefit pension scheme, the LGPS is considered to be one of the best pension schemes in the country.
Summary of the benefits
- a retirement pension payable for life
- a retirement pension that increases each year in line with the consumer prices index (CPI)
- a tax-free lump sum equal to three times your pension for all membership up to 31 March 2008
- an option to purchase additional tax-free cash by converting part of your annual pension
- an option to purchase additional annual pension
- a death grant equal to three times your annual pensionable pay in the event of your death in service
- a pension payable to your husband, wife, cohabiting partner or civil partner in the event of your death
- pensions payable to your eligible children
- a pension payable immediately if you retire due to permanent ill health
- your employer contributes towards the cost of your pension
- you receive tax relief on your contributions – you pay less tax
Brief guide to the scheme
Please see this brief guide to the scheme:
Printable full guide to the scheme
The full guide to the scheme is available to download and print out:
What is your pension?
You may find this video from the Local Government Pension Scheme website helpful. For sub-titles, select the CC button on the video.
Pension Advisory Service contact details
Please note: the contact details for the Pension Advisory Service are:
- Address: Money and Pensions Service, 120 Holborn, London, EC1N 2TD
- Phone: 0800 0113797