Notification of the death of a retired member

Your local government pension ceases upon your death and the pension payroll section must be notified of your death as soon as possible thereafter. This can be done:

The person who notifies the pension payroll section of your death must quote either:

  • your pension payroll reference number
  • your national insurance number

We will need to see a copy of the death certificate when it is available. If there is a surviving spouse we will also need to see copies of the following documents:

  • their birth certificate
  • their marriage certificate

Tell us once

This is a service which is offered by most local authorities on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). It allows you to inform central and local government services of the death at one time rather than having to write, email, telephone or attend each one individually.

They will notify us, but we always recommend that you contact us as soon as possible to ensure the notification is received promptly.